Important: READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS AND WATCH A REPAIR VIDEO BEFORE Installing
Test the Screen BEFORE closing device
Steps to follow:
- Test after ALL connectors/cables are transfered from old screen to new screen.
- Attach original or new home button and power on your device.
- Test if the image and touch screen (all letters) are working. Run for 10 minutes.
- If failure - clean connectors with 95% alcohol or higher and repeat steps above. Refer to Troubleshooting for more help.
Preparation / Safety Cautions
- Watch a few repair videos and read Quick Start guide before starting the repair. Have a PC or phone to watch video and pause while doing repair. Repair Videos »
- Take your time - Allow 1-2 hours for repair and be patient. Most mistakes are caused by rushing through steps.
- Back up your device via iCloud or iTunes before proceeding
- IMPORTANT: To avoid any damage to the hardware, make sure the device is powered off before starting the repair.
- IMPORTANT: NEVER UNPLUG ANY flex cables until the battery has been completely disconnect to avoid frying hardware. IMPORTANT: DO NOT plug the battery back until all cables have been reconnected.
- We recommend discharge your device battery below 25%. A charged lithium-ion battery can catch fire and/or explode if accidentally punctured during repair.
- Wear safety glass to protect your eyes. Bits of glass can fly up if the glass snaps while repairing.
- Heat Gun: Always operate at lowest setting. Heat gun should never get closer than 2 inches to the item being heated. Keep heat moving. Never stay in one spot. Be careful of the nozzle as can get very hot.
Additional household items that will help to have on hand:
Additional household items to have on hand:
- Scotch tape
- Hair dryer or heat gun
- Playing card / credit card/ razor blade / Exacto knife or putty knife
- Microfiber cloth
Opening Device and Loosening Adhesive
The screen is held in place by strong glue. Apply heat to the edges, using either a hair dryer or a heat gun. The heat must be directed at the edges of the glass until it starts to loosen. Once the adhesive loosens, slide the plastic prying tool (or playing card/razor blade/ exacto knife) between the top of the glass and the frame of the phone. Insert the picks as you go to keep the screen separated. This may take a few attempts so be patient.
After clearing adhesive, DON'T OPEN all the way. To protect the delicate flex cable, make sure the angle between screen and body is less than 90 degrees.
Tip: Do not force or pry your screen apart. Heating the adhesive allows the screen to be separated. Using extreme force to pry the screen off can damage LCD and digitizer or flex cables.
Treat Flex Cables and Connectors Gently - Very Fragile
- Must be plugged in plugged or unplugged with extreme caution
- Use tools instead of your finger during the installation. Otherwise, it will damage the screen!
- Check for any dust or debris in between the flex cables and motherboard. Clear it with a brush or an alcohol dipped cloth.
- Make sure the flex cables are properly connected with a “clicking” sound. Start at one end of the connector and use a gentle rocking motion while you work your way to the other end.
- IMPORTANT: Don't bend the flex cables.
- WARNING - Don’t force the connectors together until they are properly lined up. If a part doesn't fit quite right, don't force it. Take a step back and see if something's out of place such as a loose screw that's been magnetized to an ear speaker.
- Battery Connector may be held down by light dhesive and solder. If not cautious, it will come off the motherboard.
- Motherboard: small surface mount components can be easily damaged if they are nicked by the spudger. Always take your time and never touch the surface of the motherboard.
Stay Organized - Tiny Screws
- Many screws will be removed and then re-installed. Screws are of different size and length.
Mark each screw in order that you remove and related assembly with a number so that you can recognize them easily.
If you put a screw into the wrong spot, your phone could be damaged.
- Keep all pieces organized and numbered and work on a well lit WHITE paper base (like a sheet of paper or paper towel) so that you can see any little pieces that might go missing.
Static Free, Clean Environment
Note: If you have to reinstall the LCD more than once, when you connect the flex cable to the motherboard the second time static will be generated
- Make sure you have a nice clean space to work in with minimal distractions. A room that's not carpeted would be ideal. Make sure to be careful and minimize static electricity which can damage your device.
- Use proper grounding techniques such as wearing an anti-static wrist strap (available in our store) or touch a steel table leg to discharge any static before starting work on anything. Static electricity can cause lines on your screen if not discharged.
- If possible,
use latex gloves or work on rubber mat, one designed for anti-static or just a household table place mat.
. If you get static lines on display, it will take 30 minutes to completely clear the static electricity on the screen after reconnected, since it is a capacitive touchscreen.
Be Careful Transfering the Home Button
- Don’t apply too much pressure to unglue the home button assembly (home button, home flex cable and home button aperture) from your original screen, for there is a lay of dust-proof tape around the home button. Be patient.
Disconnect Cables Gently
On iPhone, gently separate the LCD flex cable from the body, as it can be glued to the front glass lens.
Flex cables are fragile! Be careful when reconnecting to the logic board. Hold the bottom part of the flex cable ribbon with one hand, and then slightly bend the flex with the other hand. Keep holding and supporting the flex cable while reconnecting so it doesn't tear.
A slight noise shows the LCD display screen flex cable and motherboard connected properly. Rough operation or mishandling may result in series problems such as touch screen and home button no response, static line, digitizer defect, screen shinning etc.
Be sure of that there are no dust and dots on the camera lens before installing the front-facing camera.
In the end, be sure the LCD display screen assembly is properly aligned with the top edge.
After Connected / Protective Film
Make sure the LCD is clean and has no fingerprints. Wipe with cleaning cloth. Do not use liquids on LCD.
Most screens come with a protective film to guard against scratches. DON'T remove this until the new part is secured in the device. The glass screen attracts dust and fingerprints and the protective film will help reduce this.
Make sure to remove the red/purple static protection sheet from the metal on the back of the LCD (using small tab sticking out).
If you have trouble, check out our
Screen Repair Troubleshooting Tips »
Covers common issues and how to resolve
Happy Repairs! You can do this.