iPad Glass Screen Quick Start
Repair Guide Quick Links
Tips and best practices to help your repair be a success!
What You Need
With our repair kit, you get the glass screen part and the specialized tools and adhesive. Here are additional household items that will help to have on hand.
- Scotch tape
- Hair dryer or heat gun
- Putty knife
- Microfiber cloth
- Watch a repair video on YouTube prior to attempting any repair. Videos »
- Review how to use tools in tool kit (if purchased) - includes different screwdriver heads and it is important to use the right one as to not strip the screw heads.
- Many screws will be removed and then re-installed when replacing the screen. These screws are of different size and length.
Mark each screw and related assemble with number so that you can recognize them easily. If you put a screw into a wrong place, your phone could be damage.
- Keep all pieces organized and numbered and work on a well lit white paper base so that you can see any little pieces that might go missing.
- To prevent equipment damage, make sure you start your repair in a static-free environment.
Use a rubber mat - one designed for anti-static or just a household table place mat. You can avoid electro-static by using proper grounding techniques such as wear anti-static bracelet.
Preparing the Device for Repair
Before doing any repair work on a device, switch off the device and take out the battery. It's also a good idea to take precautions to prevent the broken glass from shattering when the old screen is removed. Apply Scotch tape over the broken glass can help to hold the shards together when the glass is removed.
Loosening the iPad Glass
The glass digitizer screen is held in place by strong glue. Apply heat to the glass, using either a hair dryer or a heat gun, to melt the adhesive so that the glass can be removed. The heat must be directed at the edges of the glass until it starts to loosen. Once the adhesive loosens, slide the opening tool between the top of the glass and the frame of the device. Next, take a putty knife or the opening tool and slide it into the gap that the opening tool opens up. When the glue has sufficiently softened by the heat, the opener will easily slide from the top of the phone to the bottom, separating the glass screen from the LCD. Insert the picks as you go to keep the screen separated. This may take a few attempts so be patient.
Tip: Do not force or pry your screen apart. Heating the adhesive allows the screen to be separated. Using extreme force to pry the screen off can damage LCD and digitizer.
Cleaning and Preparing the LCD
Properly clean the previous adhesive from the housing. You can use IPA or Acetone to soften up the adhesive, and then scrape away most of it with a flat tool like a putty knife (be careful of the inner flexes and components). Use a solvent/alcohol wipe (included in some kits) to clean the rest off.
Make sure the flex cables are properly sitting within the device, as even the tiniest amount of pressure will eventually cause the adhesive to let go of the glass digitizer.
Fitting the New Glass Screen with Adhesive
Finally, on the new glass digitizer, remove the film from the pre-installed adhesive tape around the edges and place it on the LCD. If you are using separate adhesive tape, just stick around edges of glass. The adhesive on the glass digitizer is pressure-activated so you need to apply a SLIGHT pressure to the digitizer for 4-6 hours, to make sure the adhesive remains in contact with the frame of the iPad while it is drying/curing. You can place your iPad face down on a towel and put a 3" thick textbook/phone book on it.IMPORTANT: Too much pressure will crack the new screen.
- Premium Phillips Screwdriver #000 - + point used to remove cross screws which secure various metal brackets and inside components.
- Nylon Wedge Black Spudger - 5" black tool is made of nylon and has one flat end and one pointed end. Used to open clips and remove components without damage.
- Metal Tip Tweezers - used to remove some of the small parts inside of the device including front camera ring and the proximity sensor bracket.
- Easy Opening Tool - to remove housing from frame (rectangle tool)
- (4) Pry Picks - shaped like a triangle, used for opening iPad screen
- Alcohol Swab Pads - to remove adhesive from edge of screen
- Cleaning Cloth